Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Little Things People Will Do For You.....

Friends at work did a party for us occupational therapists for national OT month and they did small portion finger foods with me and my new tummy in mind. Now that's a wonderful group of people with whom I work. Incredible. Good news? I ate protein rich foods first - cheese, sausage casserole (with veggies and no breadcrumbs!), the inside out of a quiche. I also managed to get a bite or two of fruit in - strawberries and cantaloupe. Bad news? I allowed myself a bite of spanikopita, a cream puff, and a dark chocolate hershey kiss.

Is this really a bad thing? I try to think not.....since I did eat what I NEEDED first..... and it was only the second time I allowed myself this - the first being my sister's birthday. I know that carbs beget other carbs, which can be the downfall of any post WLS'er...... but I know it was an indulgence and it is not something I plan to do every day. I think that's the key. I may be rationalizing....but I hope it's post WLS wisdom.

When I used to go to a nutritionist pre my WLS journey, she used to say to me, "if you really want something, allow yourself to have a little - then you won't think it's 'not allowed', just 'not preferred'." I am typically an all or nothing girl - but my ideas have changed on this journey. Moderation used to be a word that meant little to me - but it's so much easier to understand that when your stomach is the size of a sharpie marker, like mine. You have to pick your foods carefully so you remain healthy..... and that makes all the difference to me.

I always pick my proteins first, followed by my veggies/fruits, and then - if I have room - I allow myself something sweet. Typically something sugar free (Sugar Free Rita's water ice is my only real indulgence)..... this was only the second time I allowed myself something sugary. It was TOO sweet....I think this'll last me a LONG time. And that is the difference this time around.

Man, I've gotten so stinkin' smart in the last year, huh? At least, I like to think so..... =)
Thanks for reading, as always!
Laur =)

No comments:

Post a Comment