Saturday, March 20, 2010

What is a VSG?


Good morning! Here I am in sunny Georgia (well, it's a little cold right now, but it'll warm up!) and I'm sitting here with amazing friends/family and smelling breakfast cooking. Life is awesome!


So, I'm sure there are a lot of ppl who don't know what a vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) is. So, here's my understanding of the procedure - with some pictures as I can find them.... thanks Google! Remember, I'm not a doctor - so I'm sure there is more to the procedure than I'm aware - seeing as I was asleep during the operation - but here's some general information. Do more research on your own or talk to a doc for comprehensive information. Okay, disclaimer noted... and....here we go!!


As opposed to the gastric bypass (or RnY), the VSG works on the concept of restriction only. It used to be used exclusively as a first step of the Duodenal Switch (or DS, I know, obvious...but still) - which is malabsorbative like the RnY. During the surgery - they remove the lower curvature of your stomach, leaving it the size and shape of a small banana....or in my case, a sharpie marker. The size of the the stomach depends on the size of spacer - bougie - they use during the surgery. There is no re-routing of the intestines or malabsorption, and you're left with a fully functional, albeit tiny, stomach. The stomach left is less likely to stretch than the lower curvature, so the effects are pretty long lasting - so long as you follow the rules.

Now, everyone has been asking me what I can eat, how often I eat, what my "rules" are, and what the expectation is for outcome. As far as what I can eat now, 8 weeks out, I can eat almost anything - within the rules. Biggest rule - protein first. Protein is important for retention of muscle, keeping your hair (which I so want to do), and healing well after surgery. Essentially, you need protein primarily to survive and remain healthy. Second biggest - TAKE YOUR VITAMINS...this, admittedly, I am not good at. It's a struggle - but because you don't get a lot of room and you have to use this room for protein primarily, you have to supplement with vitamins. Thirdly - keep it low fat, low carb (at this point, I'm VERY low carb - no bread yet...). My stomach only has a 2 - 4 oz. capacity at this point - I have to pick and choose my foods. Ultimately I'll be able to eat 1 - 1.5 cups of food - but that is in the future.


The things people cannot believe? I was advised I could not drink carbonated beverages forever (oh, the pain), no drinking for 6 - 12 months (double pain - no beer forever?? seriously?? oy), and no caffeine, at least in the beginning (which can cause ulcers). These three things were very hard for me. I was drinking at least 3 - 4 sodas a day - caffeine + carbonation, socially drinking - a beer (Blue Moon, yum) and wine, depending on the company kept, and coffee? Oh, the horror of giving that up. It hurt - literally. Headaches to beat the band. But once they were gone, it was good.


Being away from home is a struggle at times - but I have great friends and family who are really in tune to what I need to do at this point, and are amazingly supportive. I am now off to have about 1/4 cup of breakfast - an egg and some turkey bacon. I love my friends.


More tomorrow on the flight home! =)

Thanks for reading!

Laur =)

No comments:

Post a Comment